O/D questions

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: O/D questions
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 14:10:28 -0800
First, a specal thanks to Scott Kohl for sending me the missing spring return
clip that I was missing from my new turn signal switch!  Also to Daniel
Parrott for offering to send me one, too.  You guys are terrific!

After getting my O/D wiring harness installed, I tried it out last evening
with the car still parked in the garage.  I flipped the switch in the gearshit
knob and I simultaneously heard loud clicks at the relay (kicking in) and the
solenoid (being activated).  But when I turned the switch back off, I heard
nothing.  I tried switching it on once more, and again, heard nothing.  Please
don't tell me that I just damaged something.  Is this normal?  Does this mean
that the O/D solenoid is engaged and it's stuck in that position?  I sure
don't want to drive the car until I have this question resolved...

Also, I am using a 1972 MKIV D Type O/D gearbox, which has provisions for a
switch that I don't know the use for.  The PO labeled it NEU or NEV (I can't
tell which) and I don't know what this switch is for as my Mk3 wiring harness
makes no provision for it.  The mystery switch is on the right side of the
gearbox, exactly opposite the inhibitor switch and forward of the reverse lamp
switch.  Can anyone tell me what this switch is for, and whether or not I need
to bridge the connections to effectively disable it if it's not something I
need to be concerned with?

Take care,

Jeff McNeal (San Diego)

'68 Spitfire Mk3 frame off, bare metal project, aka "Mrs. Jones" --
Dangerously close to completion
'70 GT6+ "Accidental", eventual restoration project
http://www.TotallyTriumph.net/spitfire/spitfire.shtml
Join  the TOTALLY TRIUMPH NETWORK!
Forums, Photos, How-To's, Classifieds, Links & Triumph Merchandise
http://www.TotallyTriumph.net