Re: TR rubber seals question

To: "Terry Thompson" <firespiter@yahoo.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR rubber seals question
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:32:08 -0800
I'll third the motion.  Silicone DOT 5 awesome.  DOT 4 (or DOT 3 when
incorrectly applied) will let loose and not only eat the paint on your upper
bulkhead, but it usually drips onto the footwells, too, under the carpet,
where it eats the paint in the driver's footwell, exposing the sheetmetal to
corrosion before the owner is usually even aware of it.  If anyone goes
through the trouble, time and expense to paint their car with the bulkhead
matching the rest of the car, you'd have to be a real masochist to risk
ruining the new finish with the old spec fluid.  Everyone keeps complaining
that it's more expensive, but what's cheaper?  DOT 5 or new paint?

Take care,

Jeff in San Diego

1968 Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
1970 GT6+ aka "gnarly project"
Visit the Totally Triumph Network
"Friendly and focused discussion of all things Triumph!"
www.TotallyTriumph.net