Re: Odometer readings on Spitfire 1500s

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Odometer readings on Spitfire 1500s
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 08:31:34 +0000
On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, at around 16:09:15 local time, Tom O'Malley
<tom.omalley@verizon.net> wrote:
>Michael writes:
>
>>My odometer tells me that I have travelled about 91.1 miles for every
>>hundred miles I drive.   The speedometer/odometer in question is a
>>Smiths unit, with the "1000" figure on the face, which I believe is
>>correct for a UK-spec '77 1500.   My wheels and tyres are standard, but
>>I have no idea about my gearbox.   I bought the gearbox as an
>>un-reconditioned, unguaranteed, standard, four-speed, non-OD unit for a
>>1500, but...
>
>I might be worth the effort to pull the odometer gear from the
>transmission and count the teeth.  Perhaps your replacement box came
>from a Marina or Midget 1500...or a Spitfire specified for export.

All things are possible.   And it looks as though the speedo/odo drive
gear may well be wrong.   How do I get it out?   If this is going to
take me five hours on my back with gear oil dripping up my nose, I think
I'll live with it! <g>

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671