Mallory dual point distributor

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mallory dual point distributor
From: "Larry Vaughan" <lvaughan@pldi.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 11:20:49 -0600
 I have a Mallory dual point distributor that needs a hole drilled in the
shaft for the dog leg pin.
 When I asked the machine shop owner about drilling the hole, he was
reluctant to the point of refusing. He wanted me to use the stock
distributor for my initial start and break in of my rebuilt motor.
 The manual wants the hole lined up with the center of the rotor arm
contact, if points ignition, and lined up with the leading edge of the rotor
arm contact, if electronic ignition.
 Has anyone here done this or have an idea why there is a difference in the
position of the rotor to the dog leg pin?
 I want to know how critical this is, because I want to take it to my,very
local,very basic machine shop.
 Larry