Re: The goldarndest thing!

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The goldarndest thing!
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 10:54:19 -0800
I agree that this sounds like the differential to me.  If the transmission
is absolutely positively engaging, then the differential is the next culprit.

Jack up the rear of the car with both rear wheels off the ground.  Try
spinning the wheels by hand with the vehicle in gear (for safety, you DO
have the battery and coil disconnected, right?). It should stop when it
meets resistance from the engine.  Then try the same thing by turning the
driveshaft by hand.  Do the tires spin?  Does it sound like gravel?

Those differentials sure are heavy beasties.  Transmission jacks aren't
that pricey really and this is where they are perfect for R&R.

-Vegaman Dan