Re: Need a suggestion...

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: Re: Need a suggestion...
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 17:42:04 -0800
As usual, thank you to all who promptl replied.  One of my faults is that I
tend to get impatient so I went back under the car for another look.

The answer was in the bearing retention plate.  While the holes that mount it
are perfectly square, the shape of the plate is not.  It's tapered on the
sides to match the taper of the diff housing and this of course makes all the
difference in the world.  After repositioning the plate correctly, there were
no futher problems.

I've got the car off the jackstands now, and might even have functioning
emergency brakes, as I decided to tighten up the cables back there while I had
the wheels off, being that the cables are new and have never been properly
tightened.

By the way, that spring tensioning tool that one of the list members was
fabricating and selling a few years ago (which I bought and feared I might
never have a use for) worked wonders in lining up the spring with the top of
the vertical link.  I shudder to think of how much more difficult the task
would have been without it.

Time to grab the cell phone and go for a road test.  Wish me luck.

Take care,

Jeff in San Diego

1968 Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
Back on the road 3/17/03... right back off six days later...
Visit the Totally Triumph Network
"Friendly and focused discussion of all things Triumph!"
www.TotallyTriumph.net