Tyre update

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Tyre update
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 17:20:58 +0100 (BST)
Well, today seems to be the day for me to sort out my front suspension
woes.... ie wandering all over the place on the motorway....

My Dad took the Spit down to a local tyre place... and they checked
alignment and said it was perfect (some fancy machine they used - sounded
more advanced than the place I went to about a year ago) - the guy spent
ages working on it - and rang about to check the correct tyre size (well..
I know they arent stock tyres...!) great service... but he refused to
check the balance as the tyres are almost new (in mileage terms) and he'd
already spent 20 minutes not earning any money.

Then my Dad took my Spit down to Kwik-Fit to get them to check the
balance... the front right (the one that has been rubbing ) was waaayyyyy
out - considering they were balanced when the tyres were put on new
(August) I wasn't expecting that. Although the right side of the surface
of the tyre was slightly shredded when the metal lip of the wheel arch got
pulled out by the tyre...

And perhaps the clanging noise I heard ages ago was sound of a balance
weight flying off....

James

1977 Pimento Red Spit - ready to be put back in to service after its 6
week holiday!