Re: Seatbelts

To: robert.dambrauskas@kodak.com
Subject: Re: Seatbelts
From: James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:50:39 +0100
Bob,

Mine being a 77 obviously had a seatbelt with the shoulder part. In my
family seatbelts are worn, no questions asked. For me a seatbelt is as
much a part of a car as a steering wheel. I'd like to point that out -
as certain people in this country are still a little unsure of the use -
even though it has been law in this country for over 30 years.

In my case - the seatbelt certainly did help, although the seatbelt was
obviously old or not functioning properly, as it didnt hold me back
until my back was slightly out of the seat. New/modern seatbelts Ive
found are much better at "catching" - in fact the "worst" ones for it
are those in London black cabs - as soon as the driver starts moving
forward the damn things never pull out far enough to secure, you have to
tease them out to get them to secure.

Now, lapbelts versus lapbelt and lapbelt shoulder harness....

A few years ago I was in a car that actually rear ended another - we
were going perhaps 15mph going in to a parked car - a Saab as it
happened - didnt make a scratch on the Saab - made a huge mess of the
small Fiesta we were in. The car had 5 people in - I was in the rear
behind the driver - the girl next to be had just a lapbelt.

Everyone was ok, except for the girl in the lapbelt. She had quite
serious pain for several months afterwards.

Now, I added a bit of a disclaimer to my last post - because I know that
people can be touchy about this...

I will dispense with the disclaimer this time; if you don't have a
proper seatbelt in your car and don't wear it... you have a screw loose!

Seriously people, ride safe.... use your seatbelt, and if you don't have
a shoulder harness.... get one!!

James