RE: Water Pump...

To: "'David Mayer'" <celiracer81@hotmail.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Water Pump...
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 07:45:49 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: spitfires-owner@autox.team.net
[mailto:spitfires-owner@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of David Mayer
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 11:08 PM
To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Water Pump...

As i mentioned earlier i am just now getting my Spitfire back in rnning
condition.  However a new problem has come up.  As ai am looking at the
pullys in the front of the engine, the water pump seems to be a tiny bit

offset form the crank and the generator.  I have a 1500 pater pump on a
Mk
III.  Could it just be that the pump is the wrong size?  I know that the

housing shoudl be the same but i am not sure about the pump itself.  Is
that
tiny bit of offset really going to bother anything?  or should i get a
Mk.
III pump for it?

Also...how much play should there be in the fan belt.

Your wisdom is always greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
  Dave

Dave,
I think that the only difference in the earlier and later pumps is the
size of the pulley.  The problem you will encounter is finding the right
size belt to fit that combination.   Otherwise it will work.  I have the
same combination on my Mk3 engine with an alternator instead of a
generator.

JOe