Re: Voltage regulator problem found with pictures

To: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: Voltage regulator problem found with pictures
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:15:20 -0400
In message <5.2.1.1.2.20030709204837.018a5cf8@mail.dougbraun.com>you write:
>Great detective work!   How did you remove the compound?

   I just used a pair of long nose wire cutter and slowly snipped away the
   potting compound.  It came off pretty easy, it took about 10 minutes.

>If you get a chance to trace out the circuit and the resistor, etc. values,
>that would be great.

   From what I can see it looks very similar to the circuit in the Bentely
   manual.  I couldn't wait until for a new regulator so I scrape at the
   plastic portion of the transistor were the pin has broken off to expose
   more metal.  Tested it and it was still good so I solder the pin and
   the board back.

   I put the alternator back together and install it back on to the car.
   My 3 week old battery was down to 10V but it was enought to crank the
   engine and get it started.  After about 6 minutes of idleling the voltage
   on the battery when up to 11.6V.  It was late so I stop the car and will
   look at it tomorrow after work.  I just hope the battery has not sustain
   permenate damaged from the extreme discharge.
   due to
Dave                                                  |\ |     | |