Re: Coil - Ballast?

To: Tom Harvey <tom@tomh.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Coil - Ballast?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:05:36 -0400
At 06:31 PM 7/13/03 +0100, Tom Harvey wrote:

>After a pleasant day in the sun (although a little burnt), surrounded by
>a miriad of other Triumph beauties (and ogres etc) I am now home, and
>still confused.  I have driven about 50 miles with the replacemnt coil,
>and noticed no problems. I understand vaguely how a coil works, but can
>someone tell me in idiot terms what a ballast coil is, what difference
>there is to a non-Ballast coil, and whether using one that isn't, or
>vice versa, will cause any problems? Should a 1500 have a Ballast coil?

Tom,

For a better understanding of the ignition system and the ballast resistor,
you might want to check out this article:

www.team.net/www/morgan//Tech/art023.html

As to weither your car needs one or not, depends on 2 things:

1. Is the coil you have, a ballasted coil or not
2. Do you have a "ballast" or resistive wire in the ignition circuit.

My 77 Spit, had a ballast resistor, but with some of the changes by the
PO, it is no longer in the circuit.

John

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org