Re: Antifreeze & Cooling in Hot Weather

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>, Johno8@aol.com
Subject: Re: Antifreeze & Cooling in Hot Weather
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:10:56 -0400
A bit of trivia:  When glycol antifreeze became standard, some engines had to be
redesigned a bit to minimize the chance that coolant would leak into the
crankcase.
For example, the holes in the block for the head studs needed to be blind: they
could no longer pass through the deck into the crankcase.

This is because when glycol antifreeze gets into the oil, it can turn into a
gummy
goo.  If pure water leaked into the crankcase, it would simply evaporate.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit