Windshield & trim - final

To: "spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Windshield & trim - final
From: "griffco" <griffco@griffco.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 21:31:53 -0600
Well, after much swearing, sweat and almost tears I got the metal trim around
the windshield.

The manuals aren't much help are they?  The Leyland one says to make the
special tool, hold it vertically, hook it in the rubber lip and pull it
around.  Yeah, right!

The Haynes manual says to make the special tool because it will make the very
difficult job a little easier. Period!  They obviously never put a trim piece
in.

So I converted the ridiculous measurements into usefull fraction inches and
made the tool.

Anyway, after tearing the rubber lip twice with the tool, made to specs, I
gave up and designed my own.  A narrow piece of ABS 1/8" plastic filed round
on the end with a groove in its thickness around that end.  Used it to push
the rubber lip up till it popped over the metal trim edge.  A forward/reverse
rocking motion while moving the tool in the direction of insertion worked in
most parts.  Hardest was the top just near the centre.

Made my own joiners out of hard rolled aluminum.  They look a little different
than the stainless, but better than nothing.

I'm happy!
Cheers, Fred