Re: Question about wheels

To: <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Question about wheels
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 06:30:40 -0400
The MG wheels you are thinking of are the MG-F.  This a currently
manufactured car that is not available in the US.  You are not going to
find any wheels from them in a junkyard here.

TR-7 wheels are the only wheels you're going to find in a junkyard that
will fit.  The later TR-7 wheels are an inch wider then your stock 1970
wheels, I think.  In any case, the late TR-7 wheels are 6" wide.

With modification, other wheels can be made to fit.  I think it's Dodge
Omni wheels I've heard of others fitting up to a Spitfire somehow.
However, the stock bolt pattern is different.

Aftermarket, you can buy wheels through Vicky Brit and such.  Not
cheap, but they fit and look good; albeit just like everyone else's
aftermarket wheel.  Pick up a copy of a circletrack type magazine and
you will see quite a listing of racing wheel makers.  A number of them
will drill for the Spitfire bolt pattern.  Then you can get into all
sorts of wild sizes.

Something to consider with regards to wheel sizes for the Spitfire is
not just fitting the wheels but finding tires you like.  Performance 13"
street tires are all but invisible.  For racing purposes, there's only a
few.  Bump up to the 14" tires, and you find a few more.  Bump all the
way up to 15" and you find quite a few of each.

The information contained in this communication may be confidential, is
privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this
communication to the sender and delete the original message and any copy of it
from your computer system. Thank you.
<<<<GWIASIG 0.07>>>>