Nice to be back

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Nice to be back
From: "Paul Meyer" <paulfmeyer@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:30:38 -0400
Hey Folks -

My '78 Spitfire and I are having issues.  More specifically, my ZS carb and
I are having issues.

The car's almost stock, and until recently, gave me almost no trouble.  At
least none that I couldn't figure out.  Carbs are voodoo black magic as far
as I'm concerned.  Near as I can determine, the CD carb is pretty reliable,
but the pollution control crap adds a bunch of complexity with marginal
emissions gains.  Anybody got a manual choke ZS CD150 from a 70-73 they want
to get rid of?

Three inspections, and not one emissions check - so I'd be happy to pull all
that tubing and simplify the engine bay.

Fuel pump is mechanical, and was replaced in March.

The car starts fine, but I am getting raw fuel out of the vent tube after
about two minutes of idling.  (whether I touch the gas pedal or not)
Needless to say, the the car sounds like it's gargling in gasoline.  First
assumtions were stuck needle valve and/or bad float.

I've rebuilt the carb twice (first time was practice), cleaned it to medical
standards, replaced the needle valve, and still have the same problem.  The
float seems fine, I cleaned and rebuilt the autochoke, which seems ok.  I've
also changed the float height a few times to see if that helps.  Now she'll
keep idling instead of stalling, but gas still comes out of the vent tube.

I'm going to pull the carb one last time.  I'll replace the float and
upgrade the needle valve, to a Grose Jet (spelling?).  If that doesn't work,
I'm going to look at replacement options.

I'm more interested in reliability than performance gains.  I've got a new
FED exhaust manifold and don't want to go the header route.  As I said -
she's almost stock, and I fear increased performance will overstress aging
driveline components.

Here's what I'm considering:

Dual HS2's - basically move from US to UK spec - am I asking for more of the
same problems?  Would I need to change the exhaust manifold to fit the new
intake manifold?

Weber - what's the difference between DGV and DCOE?  Is one more appropriate
for a basically stock vehicle?  Do they come basically set up, or am I going
to spend forever tweaking & swapping the needles?

My pipe dream - Throttle body fuel injection - anybody managed to pull a
stock unit from a modern economy car and get it going on a 1500 motor?   I
pine for something as bulletproof as my '91 Corrolla.

Any opinions, links to reference sites, or referrals to a reasonably priced
vendor much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Paul Meyer

1978 Brooklands Green Spitfire 1500 aka My Baby

Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.