Flipppin' Brakes

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Flipppin' Brakes
From: "David Mayer" <celiracer81@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:10:38 +0000
The saga continues.

I finally got a break from my two jobs to get some time in on the Spitfire
yesterday.  Since i just recently installed the new SS brake hoses i needed
to bleed the brakes and be done with the brake system.  Bled the back no
problems.  Great!  now i go up to the front.  I went to loosed the bleed
screw...no luck.  I remember having the bleed screw loose earlier when i was
first strting to work with the brakes...and now the thing is siezed up on
me.  I soaked it in Liquid Wrench and let it sit for a while, soaked it
again, and let it sit, and reapeat.  Then i tried to loosen it agian.  NO
luck.  So i soaked it in L.W. over night and tried again this morning.
Well...not the results i had sought after.  The bleed valve sheered off.

So now i have to drain the brake fluid...again.  I have to take apart the
caliper...again.  and try to see if i can use an easy-out to get the
threaded portion of the screw out fo the caliper.

Here are my questions to all of you brake gurus...
1.)  If i can get the threaded portion out, what size is that bleed valve?
is it possible to pick one up at a local parts store?  Otherwise i will have
to order it through someone online and wait for it to come in.

2.)  If i can't get the threaded portion out, does anyone have an extra
brake caliper laying around?  Shoudl i replace both calipers?  or would i be
safe with just one?  Again...has anyone had any luck with getting parts like
this at a local store or am i gonna have to order it and wait?

Thanks,
  Dave
  '68 Spit with no brakes

Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has exceeded
its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage!