Re: too much fuel pressure?

To: "Paul Meyer" <paulfmeyer@msn.com>, Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: too much fuel pressure?
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:54:06 -0500
Before wasting even more time and money trying to solve the problem
by trial and error, MEASURE the fuel pressure!   Look for a pressure gauge
in the parts place, or improvise with something like a dial tire pressure
gauge, etc.

If you have no luck finding one, try this:  Get about 20 feet of thin, cheap
clear vinyl tubing,
connect one end with a T-fitting to the fuel line at the carb, and attach the
other end
to the garage roof, a tree, etc. so that it goes straight up.  (Leave the far
end open).
Then see how far the fuel rises in the tube.  One PSI of pressure will lift
water about
two feet, so I suspect gasoline will rise about 2.5 feet.  (The density of
gasoline is about 0.69).

If you have a correct value for the density of gasoline, this pressure
measuring technique
is very accurate.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit