1500 Tranny/Bell Housing seal question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: 1500 Tranny/Bell Housing seal question
From: Jambone <jambone6@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 13:26:36 -0800 (PST)
Greetings listers,

I have some questions about a seal that goes between a single-rail tranny and
the bell housing.  I removed the old tranny from my '76 1500 and separated the
bell housing from the gearbox.  There was no seal (fwiw, the gasket was
present) and there was a lot of oil inside the bell housing.  The parts
catalogs indicate that there is a seal, but I can't tell exactly where it goes.
 I have a new seal, and it's just a bit to large in diameter to fit in the
groove in the bell housing.  I went ahead and slid it onto the input shaft,
using my best guess as to how it is supposed to go, and bolted the bell housing
to the box.  Once everything was tightened up, I couldn't spin the input shaft
because this seal was binding.  Can anyone confirm that indeed there should be
a seal, and if so, how it is fitted?

Thank you and best regards,
Brian

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/