Re: rear end knocking noise

To: hupshall@triumphcars.com ("Huw Upshall"), spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rear end knocking noise
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 09:33:56 -0500
In a message dated 2/2/2004 1:54:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
hupshall@triumphcars.com writes:

> I was driving my car and I have a knocking noise comming from the rear
> end - turning corners makes it louder.  Sounds like a classic u-joint to
> me but I jacked the rear of the car up and inspected the joints.  They
> looked tight to me.  Is there anyway to check these u-joints?

I happened upon a fairly reliable way to check these last year, when I was
having similar problems with my Herald. I put the car in gear, got down on the
ground, reached up with my hand to find the u-joint, and then had my two
children gently rock the car back and forth. If there's any "lateral" play
(indicating a  worn u-joint), you'll feel it.

YMMV....

--Andy Mace