coils and ballast resistors

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: coils and ballast resistors
From: Neil Penberthy <npenberthy@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 13:06:03 -0800 (PST)
Hi been lurking for a long time now, but I suddenly
find myself with the need to get the Spitfire back on
the road ASAP.

After the recent messages I have concluded that the
misfire I've been failing to find is due to my
removing the ballast resistor when I replaced the
coil. Ever since then car has run fine cold but
gradually run worse and worse after a few miles.

I'm pretty certain that the coil / lack of ballast
resistor is the culprit as it all occurred at the same
time. Of course I am unable to find the ballast
resistor to replace it.... So to my question:

Anyone know of a commonly avaialble (ie AutoZone) coil
that will work without a ballast resistor. I'd like to
buy one locally if possible rather than wait for one
mail order. Even the part number from such a coil
would help as I could probably cross the number to
something at AZ or whereever.

Please respond off list  as I would like to get on the
road tonightif possible!

Thanks

Neil (npenberthy@yahoo.com)

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/