Re: Upgrade to a 4-synchro box

To: pelevesq@globetrotter.net (Paul-Ernest Levesque), spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Upgrade to a 4-synchro box
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:34:56 -0500
In a message dated 2/13/2004 8:38:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
pelevesq@globetrotter.net writes:

> I own a Spitfire 1970 MK 3 with a 3-synchro gearbox, how complicated is it
> to Upgrade to a 4-synchro box,(I mean buy a new 4-synchro box for
> replacement) in reference to drive shaft length bell housing etc. the actual
> gearbox need to be rebuilt and Spitbits sell a standard one for $450.00 for
> a 3-synchro I think. Any comments
> Have a very nice day
> Paul-Ernest

As I recall, the 4-synchro box is a whopping 5/8" longer. That's usually not
enough to force a change in the driveshaft; many driveshafts were of the
sliding joint variety and will accommodate the ever-so-slightly longer box.

The output flange normally was larger on the 4-synchro box and will NOT mate up
with the (presumably) original flange on the driveshaft. Either obtain a larger
flange for the driveshaft, or you may be able to swap your old output flange
onto the "new" gearbox(not positive about this?).

--Andy Mace