Re: I am stuck!!!

To: "'Spitlist'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I am stuck!!!
From: Richard Joltes <djoltes@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 17:23:30 -0400
At 16:43 10-05-04, Martin Pearce wrote:

>Take her out on the road and put on some pressure, I get some hesitancy in
>all gears.  It seems like we are not running on all cyclinders, cough
>splutters etc.  Back in the garage, all is fine.

This sounds very much like you're getting air in the fuel system somewhere
along the way.  Check the fuel lines, connections, etc for any evidence of
a leak -- even a pin-hole that might not drip petrol, but would admit air while
the system is under load.  That it changed somewhat after you replaced the
carburettor suggests the problem _may_ be near that area.

The same happened to me on a different car, and it turned out to be a bad
gasket in a fuel tank valve.  Gasket replaced, problem disappeared.

dj
1974 SIII Airportable, 'Smudger'
1971 Spitfire Mk IV, 'Harry'