Re: Distributor

To: spitfires list <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Distributor
From: public@sweavo.34sp.com
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 17:00:26 +0100
Quoting James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>:

> The Lucas one is a far better build... however you will loose your mech
> tacho! So you'll have to put a yuckky electronic 1500 gauge in.
>
> My AC Delco dizzy was giving me extreme points scatter - so I swapped it
> out...

* steve's ears prick up *

I've been stroking my chin for a while about my dizzy - the cap is not a very
snug fit, and the car goes into intermittent short periods of power loss.
Mechanical play in the dizzy is one theory.  This 'points scatter' of which you
speak, I'm guessing it's mistiming of the separation of the points due to play
between the cam and dizzy body?  Does a loose-ish dizz cap also cause issues
(once it's fitted in place it seems pretty rigid though).  I'm guessing that a
dizzy with bad points scatter will still not tie correctly with one of those
optically-triggered electronic ignitions...  Anyone found this before I shell
out for an Aldon?  I also have a mech tacho and would be sad to switch out that
original equipment.