running on three cylinders

To: <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: running on three cylinders
From: "alan watt" <alwatt33@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 07:23:37 +0100
I have just replaced the cylinder head in my mk3 with a new one. However, when
i got it running again it seems to be running on 3 cylinders with the number
one cylinder not doing much - when I pull the spark plug the engine doesnt die
whereas it does with all the others.

I have tested compression (same as it was before replacement of cylinder head)
replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor. Engine is smoky as
anything but I guess that that should be expected with 1 cylinder down?

Any ideas what i should do next as a diagnostic procedure/solution?

thanks a lot

Al