New fuel pump = carb leaking gas?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: New fuel pump = carb leaking gas?
From: "Jim Holmgren" <jholmgren@advertising.com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 21:55:57 -0400
Hi Everyone,

I replaced the fuel pump on my '75 Spit yesterday.  It died on me on my
way home from Carlisle last Saturday (go figure).

Anyway, since I've replaced the fuel pump, it seems like my car is
getting too much gas - it hesitates and surges, and several times during
a 30 mile drive today at highway speeds (50-60 MPH), it backfired
(loudly! =8-O ).  It's almost un-drivable at lower RPM's, it bucks and
surges so badly that I chirped the rear tires today pulling out from a
stop sign.

The new pump is a slightly different design than the original, but it
bolted right up and the car started right up after cranking it for about
10 seconds.  I ordered the pump from Spitbits, so I'm reasonably certain
it's a correct replacement.

I checked under the hood and I appear to have a leak that looks like it
might be coming from the gasket between the upper and lower halves of
the carburetor - but I'm not 100% sure yet. There was gas on the lower
part of the outside of the carb, and I could see where some had dripped
down onto the frame.

I checked the fuel supply hose, and that's on tight and seems dry on the
outside.

So, my question is - could the new fuel pump be delivering too much gas
(or too much pressure)? Is that even possible?  Could I have something
within the carb "stuck"?  If so, what's the remedy?

As always, I appreciate any and all advice!

Thanks!
-Jim
'75 Spitfire 1500
The information transmitted in this email is intended only for the person(s) or
entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking
of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this email in error,
please contact the sender and permanently delete the email from any computer.