High Oil Pressure, 65 Spitfire, 1147cc engine, Breather Smoke.

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: High Oil Pressure, 65 Spitfire, 1147cc engine, Breather Smoke.
From: sinclair@degenkolb.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 17:45:27 -0700
I've noticed that my oil pressure gauge seems to be sitting at 80psi most
of the time, which may be the limit of the gauge.  It drops to around 40 to
50 psi hot idle.  This is the 1147cc engine.

I'm also seeing a fair amount of smoke coming out the rocker cover breather
tube when I hit the gas after idling for a minute, or after several minutes
going uphill under load.  It doesn't smoke under short duration heavy
loads, or when coming back on the gas after a long downhill run under no
load.

I suppose it's due to blow-by, or maybe valve guides.  However, there is no
smoke coming out the exhaust so I'm a little confused - can't be valve
guides right?  I plan to do a compression test to check the rings.

I was wondering (hoping) that the oil pressure might be too high and
over-oiling the rocker shaft or something.  It doesn't seem to burn much
oil - at least several tanks before top-up required.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks
Mark Sinclair