Re: Increase compression ratio

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Increase compression ratio
From: Mark.Green@communityhospital.com
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:23:01 -0400
Doug,

WOW!!! You have a '92 Spitfire? Where'd you get it, cuz I surely would like
to sneak one of those into my garage.

All kidding aside, thanks for the info. You took off 90 thousands and no
problems -  what kind of compression ratio did this work out to be?

Could you tell the difference in performance?

Mark Green
1972 Spitfire Mark IV "Murdock"

             Doug Braun NA1DB
             <na1db@yahoo.com>
             08/19/2004 01:15          Mark Green/TCH@LN
                                       spitfires@autox.team.net
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Increase compression ratio

I have a '92, and I shaved it 0.090", and it runs fine on 91 octane.
It still passes emissions, too.

The machine shop guy almost freaked when I said "take off 90 thou".
They were used to doing mild jobs to correct warpage.  They
charged extra because it took much more time on the milling
machine than usual.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

At 12:17 PM 8/19/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>I live in a state where my '72 Spit doesn't need to pass any emissions
>testing because it's a pre-1975 model so I was thinking about increasing
my
>engine's performance. Part of what I want to do during the winter
>non-driving months is increase my compression ratio by milling the
engine's
>cylinder head (along with porting and polishing the head). I have a basic
>1300 engine with a single Stromberg and was wondering how much could be
>milled off and not cause any problems with the 91 octane gasoline we have
>in the USA. I have a local auto machine shop and the owner could easily do
>it during the snowy winter months.
>
>Anyone ever had this done and could give some feedback?
>
>Mark Green
>1972 Spitfire Mark IV "Murdock"

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for
privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
message.