Initial start-up concerns/questions

To: "Spit6 Mail List" <spit6cgt6@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Initial start-up concerns/questions
From: "Ed Hamilton" <h_edward@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:18:01 -0400
Finally, after a complete rebuild, she started with the twist of the key.
Shortly thereafter, I shut it down due to an oil pressure concern.

Prior to starting, I ran the pressure up using a drill attached to the oil
pump.  Then, when cranking the engine, pressure light went out almost
immediately and pressure registered on the MG combination gauge that I
installed.  I was running it in at approximately 2000 rpm's when (after a
few moments) the oil pressure light came on - the gauge continued to
register approximately 70 psi.  Which do I believe - one (the idiot light)
says I've got a problem; while the other (Smiths gauge) says I'm looking
good.

At the same time, there is apparently an adaptor or something that I need
for the water temp probe.  When running, water was spewing from it and
thrown by the fan all over the left side of the engine.  Could something
have gotten wet; causing the light to come on?  The fitting/connection is
fine and all seemed to be operating correctly until it decided to
illuminate.

Lastly, upon shutting it down, I noticed a reasonable amount of white smoke
drifting from the #6 velocity stack.

I would appreciate any/all thoughts.

Best regards,

Ed Hamilton