Re: Failing emissions

To: doug@dougbraun.com
Subject: Re: Failing emissions
From: Alan Lemen <ralemen@cableone.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:10:57 -0700
Doug this is the kind of  thing I am looking for.  Of course it's all
original so no way has it been incorrect assembly. and the car has
passed emissions before without major problems.

Alan

doug@dougbraun.com wrote:

>I would expect a compression test to reveal any valve or ring problems.
>
>I guess there could be a valve timing problem, but I cannot imagine
>how that would "just happen", without something being
>assembled incorrectly.
>
>Last year I was adjusting my valves and I noticed that I had a broken outer
>valve spring.  The amazing thing was that I had been driving around
>like that for who knows how long, and I hadn't noticed any difference at all
>in how the engine ran.  I have no idea what effect it might have had
>on the emissions, but it couldn't have been doing any good...
>
>You might want to remove the rocker arm and press down (hard) on each valve
>to try to find any stickiness or weak springs.
>
>Doug Braun
>'72 Spit
>

>At 07:29 AM 3/16/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>

>>The electrics have been checked. Timing is correct, no misfires etc. new
plug, fresh engine oil. even changed twin SU back to single Stromberg and it's
slightly worse. Does not have catalytic converter and air pump is working OK.
No vacuum leaks - checked for that. carbon canister was even rebuilt. input
line from carbon canister is plugged anyways. CO is not that low, so leaning
out more will not help. It's not at the point for the balancing act. HC at
high speed are not as bad but still high. I have had the car to THE expert in
the area who could find nothing wrong and is himself mystified. Normally I can
do it all and diagnose the problem. Folks come to me to help them tune their
cars. Which is why I suspect something mechanical. But she runs smooth which
seems to contradict the valves. But I never have had the head off the car. Or
it could be bad rings? Will check that valve clearances and compression are OK
tonight. Any other easy way to check the valves short of pulling the head.