RE: Morning Spitfire Adventure

To: "Kirk Crawford" <kirkbcrawford@kirkanddonna.com>,
Subject: RE: Morning Spitfire Adventure
From: "Daniel Parrott" <parrotthead01@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 16:15:48 -0400
Reminds me when I had my 1973 TR-6.  I was heading home on I-10 with a
co-worker, and I noticed a sudden change in engine speed.  I also noticed
that I couldn't accelerate worth a %^%%&, but once up to speed, I was able
to maintain 60 miles perhour.

We stopped just outside of Mobile Alabama, and I popped the bonnet.  I
checked the Dizzy, and all seemed ok.  I decided to look further, and I
removed the dizzy base plate.  I was surprised to find one of the small
springs that is supposed to hold the centrifuge advance system weights had
broken, and the weight had slammed outward into the outer dizzy casing under
centrifugal force.  This knocked a fair-sized hole in the case, and bending
one arm of the centrifuge advance system cross bar upward about 30 degrees
from horizontal.

Perplexed, but with plenty of tools, I removed the wayward weight, took a
1/2 in socket and placed the socket over the center of the centrifuge
advance system cross bar. I hammered the cross bar down into a flat
position.  I repositioned the weight on the little cross bar pin, and
stretched the spring back over the little pin on the weight.  I took a
little Duck Tape and taped it to the outside of the dizzy body to cover the
hole.  She cranked right up and ran like a champ.

My co-worker, also an engineer, was impressed.  I sold the car a couple of
months later.  As far I know, the field repairs are still there.

Dan Parrott
Savannah, Ga