Spitfire Starter Help

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Starter Help
From: Dale M Osterndorf <osternd@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 17:54:19 -0400
Has anyone had any luck getting Paul Tegler's Isuzu starter conversion to
work on a Spitfire?  My original starter is not up to the task of turning
over my new engine, partly due to it being old and decrepit and also due
to the higher compression.  I picked up a new Isuzu starter today, but
looks like the steering column interferes with it.

Am I stuck with using a rebuilt Lucas started that may/ may not work, or
is there a work around (other than the $150+ high torque starter?)

Thanks for the help

Dale O
'78 Spit