compression readings....

To: "CARS nass@yahoogroups." <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: compression readings....
From: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:48:18 -0400
just finished playing with a newly acquired, but used GT6 engined.
KD series...relatively clean...supposedly under 50K orig miles.

Pulled the plugs...not bad looking. none sooted or oil fouled.
Pulled the dist and pedestal so I could look down in the crankcase.
It actually looks OK.  Filled it with oil, and spun up oil pressure
via my electric drill and homemade adapter to mate to the oil pump
shaft.  Oil pressure came right up to 50+psi even at slow drill speeds.
Dropped the cam gear and dist back in.  Bolted on a spare starter.

All this was in prep for a compression test.
(three different gauges were used to verify these readings)
comp readings came up as:
1-175    2-152   3-172    4- 175    5-178    6-198

QUESTION!.....
Were the KD series 2L 6's really that high a compression? (cyl 6 reading)
Obviously #2 & #3 are the low ones...somewhat expected as they
usually run hotter than the rest.  So with these readings would the
consensus
be simply re-lap the valves..or is a full ring job in order.
..again remembering there was no fouling of the plugs. They almost looked
normal.

tia

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com