My DCOE saga

To: <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: My DCOE saga
From: "Larry Vaughan" <lvaughan@pldi.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 20:16:10 -0500
I ordered four 16 mm airhorns and ARP flywheel bolts for my 1973 Spitfire. The
'73 was a transition year. It had the 1500 motor and the big clutch, but it
had 3/8 flywheel bolts. The flywheel bolts sent were 7/8" long. Way to short
for an aluminum flywheel, which is thicker than the cast iron one and needed
collars for the 3/8 bolts because it is drilled for the 7/8" bolts.

I am becoming a little uptight about some of the parts I have bought lately,
the dollar amount is heartattack city when you add it all up and you still
have the original body up on a couple of engine stands which you spent more
time and money screwing with than seems reasonable on afterthought.

My point is, I called the rep for Advanced Performance Technology about the
quality of the ramstacks and asked if no stacks would be better than stacks
that varied by 2 mm in length. The conversation led to the rep saying "no"
airhorns required an o-ring between the filter backing plate and the carb.

I may be obstinant but rarely wrong. The last time I remember being wrong was
when I agreed I was wrong but it turned out I was right.

Larry