mea culpa

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: mea culpa
From: "Larry Vaughan" <lvaughan@pldi.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 21:16:08 -0500
When I got my aluminum flywheel, several weeks ago, I made some measurements
and concluded the aluminum flywheel was signifigantly thicker than the old
iron one. I sprayed the old iron flywheel down, wrapped it up and put it
away.
 Since then I have searched for collars, to use the 3/8" flywheel bolts in the
aluminum flywheel drilled for 7/8" bolts, and flywheels bolts I had decided
had to be 1/8" longer than stock to make up for the thicker flywheel.
 I went out to screw the flywheel on today. I unwrapped the the old fly
wheel,made some measurements to see if I had the right length AN8 bolts and
discovered the iron flywheel had the same dimensions as the aluminum
flywheel.
 At this point I thought I had gone round the bend. The AN8 bolts were a bit
over one inch, the old bolts were one inch, The Bentley manual called for one
inch bolts and the ARP bolts I had just bought, for this application, were
7/8".
 To add more confusion the crankshaft is drilled and tapped 7/8" deep. So how
much thread length should enter the crank when bolting on a flywheel?

A bit confused Larry