ignition problem

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: ignition problem
From: ccullen16@cogeco.ca
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 13:15:30 -0400
Hello all,

After putting my 74 spit in to have the carpet replaced (completed and looks
great - the guy I used cut all the carpet
himself and fitted it) and seats redone (half way done, but looking good). I
have an ignition problem. I followed up to
see how the work went and ever since the centre fascia was removed to install
the carpet the car won't fire up.

The symptoms are:

The car will turn over when the key is turned to the start position. I hear the
starter motor turning and the engine
fires up and I see the Tach move. However, once the key is returned to the
ignition posiiton the car shuts down. If you
hold the key at the start position and hit the gas I have temporarily (very
temporarily) got the rpm's on the tach up to
3000 rpm, but as soon as the key is released from the start position.

Over the 10 years I have owned the car I have gotten more familiar with the
electrical working of LBC's than I would
have liked. However, prior to mucking around under the dash I thought I might
ask for some direction so I don't turn a
15 minutes job into a 4 hour (or longer job) searching for the problem.

Thanks,

Jim Cullen
74 spitfire