Update - "2nd" ignition problem solved - yippee

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Update - "2nd" ignition problem solved - yippee
From: "Jim Cullen" <ccullen16@cogeco.ca>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:20:13 -0400
Bob,

Many thanks for your advice. It set me off in the right direction. The
problem is now solved. I am pretty sure the problem was in how I set the
points. I didn't originally set the points with the heel of the points on
the high end of the cam. I guess I should have looked at my Haynes manual a
little closer.

In the 10 years I have owned the car I have done work under the cap once,
which is why I thought I should overall the points, rotor, cap etc. (plus a
friendly neighbour - suggested that overhauling everything would result in
smoother running, which now he was right, but at one point I wanted to
strangle him for encouraging me to tinker with something that was working
fairly well to start with).

I now have a better understanding of mechanically and electically what is
going on with your ignition system when you start your car.

I almost gave up, but by adjusting the points correctly (I am assuming that
is what corrected the problem) I got up and running, but very sluggishly (a
eureka moment after a whole weekend of attempting to get the car started).
Some fine-tuning and now it is purring better than before I started. The
only thing is I can tell when I turn the key that ignition switch is on its
last legs after I "monkeyed" around with it. Oh well the car is up and
running and that is what matters.

Thanks Again,

Jim Cullen
1974 spitfire