Re: battery

To: "Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: battery
From: "George T. Pasek Jr" <pasek001@umn.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 19:31:08 -0600
Ooh - Ooh - Ooh - I can answer this one!! Pick Me! Pick Me!!

Finally, someone asked a question I can answer : )

I just bought a battery for my 78 Spit last month because the one that the
PO put in was too tall and the negitive post was hitting the rail under the
bonnet.

EXIDE
Type 58 - 60
Group Size: 58
Battery Size: 9-1/4"W x 6-7/8"D x 6-1/8"H
    6-1/2" high to the top of the fill caps
    7" high to the top of the posts

When looking at the "Front" of the battery, the Positive post is on the left
side.  I put it in backwards so the posts are at the rear close to the fire
wall and the Positive is then on the right side.  On the bottom of the
battery are the 1/4" flanges (Front & Rear) for the hold down clamps the
newer cars use.  This made a tight fit in the bottom of the battery tray, so
I snipped off one of them and now it fits perfect.

FYI in case your a winter driver the CCA @ 0F is 540 and the CA @ 32F is
675.

George
'78 "Spiffy"