need spitfire diff

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: need spitfire diff
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 18:06:42 -0400
Hello, all.  I've been off the Triumphs and Spitfires list for a few
months due to a change in email.  I've just returned and am delighted
to be back!

Now for the business at hand.  This afternoon I pulled the diff and
rear spring out of my Spitfire.  (Considering how much trouble I had
pulling it about 18 years ago I was astonished at how easily it came
out.)  The diff is in serious need of rebuilding or replacement.  I'd
like avoid spending as much as the main parts vendors are asking for
a rebuilt unit.  Would any of you have a used diff in decent running
shape and not too expensive?  I'm in the Boston area.

Alternatively I could rebuild what I've got but I've never done it
before.  I'm open to advice...

A second reason for pulling everything apart is that areas of the
frame and body underneath need rustproofing, painting, whatever.
They're okay now but won't be if I ignore it till next year.  All the
little nooks and crannies are much more accessible with the rear
taken apart.  I've been told that Eastwood is a company with good
stuff.  Don't know what their products are yet, will browse around
their wewbsite as soon as I finished writing this email.  But I
thought I'd ask for suggestions.  In the ideal world they'd have
something I could spray on without having to scrape everything down
to bare metal, prime, then paint.  Been there, done that, don't have
so much time now, couldn't reach every little nook or cranny to do
that anyway.  Any thoughts?

Been driving the GT6 to work.  A coworker brought his red TR6 in last
Friday.  'Twas nice to see two red Triumphs in the parking lot.

Thanks!

Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com

===     http://www.vtr.org