seeking brake advice

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: seeking brake advice
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 15:17:13 -0400
Okay, this time it's a serious enquiry.  Three questions, if you
please.

1. I have new copper brake lines ready to install.  They are not bent
to shape, but rather, are either straight or in large coils, perhaps
10 inches in diameter.  What is the best way to bend them to shape
without kinking them?  (Yes, the kit did have all the required
pieces!)

2. Are there any tricks about how to get the curvy pieces in place?
Thread it lefthanded through the gizmo, under the whatchamacallit,
and only then put the last 85 degree bend for it to reach the other
union?  The really interesting piece will be the one over to the
right front wheel from the T-fitting on the frame left.

3. I know many of you swear by DOT5 brake fluid.  I understand one
must be careful not to get bubbles in it.  Is there any necessary
procedure for flushing previous DOT4 (Girling, or is it Castrol, LMA)
out of the wheel slave cylinders?  Sure, the lines are new but I'd
rather not take the cylinders apart if I don't have to!  If there is
a microliter of old stuff left behind, it won't blow up or anything
like cars do in the movies, will it?

My preferred break fluid is coffee during the work day, but on
weekends it is a good red or medium brown ale.  I need to go out and
get some break fluid.

Thanks,

Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com