Overrun valve

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overrun valve
From: "David" <popeye444@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 20:12:18 -0600
Spitlisters,

I'm rebuilding the carbs (SU HS2s) on my 69 spit and I found something
strange.  The throttle plate has a spring valve in the plate.  Maybe this is
normal for these but it's the first I've seen.  The Weber carb manual calls
it an overrun valve.  First question, what is this for?  Second, someone
sealed them shut with what looks like JB weld.  Why would they do this?
Should it be sealed or should I try to free them up?

David Gates  (Popeye444@comcast.net)
Shelton, Washington
1967 GT6 Comm#KC5188L, Engine#KC5598E
Undergoing full frame off restoration
1969 Spitfire Comm#FDU47651L, Engine#FK30801UE
Driver, rough but it drives and getting better every weekend

===     http://www.vtr.org