GL5 in a Spitfire diff?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: GL5 in a Spitfire diff?
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 19:20:46 -0400
Today I was reading an article about diffs in Spitfire & GT6
Magazine.  It said that one shouldn't use a GL5 oil in a Spitfire
diff because it will eat away the copper bits.  Presumably it meant
brass and any other alloy containing copper.  I've heard that GL5
warning for gearbox oil but never before for a diff.  True or false?
Anyone care to comment?  Randall Y?  Ted S?  Joe C?  Since I'm almost
done putting my Spitfire's back end together it is (ahem) timely.

Tanks,

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com