68 Mk II Suspension Overhaul and Upgrade

To: "Spitfire List (E-mail)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: 68 Mk II Suspension Overhaul and Upgrade
From: "Kirk Crawford" <kirkbcrawford@kirkanddonna.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 17:24:42 -0800
My 1968 Spitfire Mk II is in the shop right now getting an estimate and look
over of the suspension for an overhaul.  I know that I probably have worn
out wheel bearings and steering rack and shocks and u-joints.  I am planning
to upgrade the suspension at the same time and I will be ordering most of
the parts because my repair guy can't get them.  So, my plan so far is a set
of AVO shocks front and rear, the front ones with the adjustable plate. The
AVO Front shocks ask me to specify 2.25" ID or 2.5" ID seats.  Which do I
pick?  In the rear I am getting one of Joe Curry's Camber Compensators. Up
front I will get the short ratio steering rack.  I probably need a new sway
bar up there as well.  What do you guys recommend for a front sway bar?
Also Is this the time to go for front springs as well?  I want a sporty
good-handling ride. I have the 1300cc motor and an O/D trans and will keep
those except tune and de-leak the motor. Any other suggestions on
improvements to the suspension and other mechanicals?

Here is a very old web page of my Spit.  I need to update that one.
http://www.kirkanddonna.com/kirk/spitfire/

Best Regards,

--
Kirk Crawford