Stripped hole for oil sump in aluminum filler piece

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Stripped hole for oil sump in aluminum filler piece
From: Paul-Ernest Levesque <pelevesque@globetrotter.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 22:10:04 -0500
My engine 1296 Spit MK3 1970 is now in the car and is leaking oil from
front, one bolt has stripped hole (in the aluminum filler block). The bolt
has about only 1/2 inches thread long with the lock washer on, and the bolt
hole is about 9/16 inches deep, now if I install and Heli- Coil, after
drilling the proper size for the special tap, now that particular tap will
hit the bottom of the hole with the bottom of the hole not fully thread
considering the end of the tap is taper. I understand that the hole bottom
should be close (not drill through) so the oil will not pass through and
leak by the thread. Can someone reassure me that this is the way to go? The
original bolt is fine thread; the new bolt will be coarse thread 5/16-18 I
always thought that coarse thread would be better in aluminum. Am I right?
I am also considering installing a new aluminum block, so when removing the
old aluminum block will it be critical? I am aware that the gasket under the
timing chain cover is adjacent to the aluminum block.???
Also when removing the oil sump can it be done without lifting the engine
(All engine accessories are install) assuming that the crankshaft is
properly adjusted to clear the oil sump. Will the downward oil pump pipe
could be a problem when removing the sump.
Any comments or advice will be very well appreciated
Thank you, and all of you have a very nice day

Paul-Ernest

===     http://www.vtr.org