[Spit] Synthetic gearbox oil? Yay or nay

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spit] Synthetic gearbox oil? Yay or nay
From: S1500 <s1500@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:15:44 -0500
I'm almost done with the gearbox rebuild and thus subsequent road
testing after that.

Here's the brick wall I ran into: ran out of gearbox oil. I had 2
bottles(totalling almost 2 bottles worth) of Valvoline 80w90 I put in.
But with a rebuilt overdrive, it is needing quite a bit more.

So I bought some of the same type. Only after I brought it home did I
realize it had the word synthetic on it, looking like the original.

I can't find regular tranny fuild anywhere in the twin cities. Pep
Boys(only place that carries Castrol GT-LMA brake fluid) only has
automatic tranny fluid.

So..

Is it safe to fill the remainder with synthetic 80w90, or will it digest
the syncros?

If not, what can I use for a substitute? Auto parts places around
here(twin cities) seem to be carrying less and less old-fashioned needed
supplies and more and more car decorations(Fast & The Furious-type car
jewelry).

===     http://www.vtr.org