RE: [Spit] Transmission Trouble Update - again

To: "'Chad Edwards'" <c_g_edwards@yahoo.ca>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [Spit] Transmission Trouble Update - again
From: "Clark W. Nicholls" <clarkfot@cwnicholls.net>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 13:54:15 -0400
Again...

There is a thrust washer on the main transmission shaft held in place by a
steel o-ring that fits in a groove in the shaft. It holds the gears, etc, in
position on the mainshaft. If the ring comes loose or the thrust washer
breaks (like mine) this movement will occur. If you catch it in time the
mainshaft won't get damaged. If you're like me it will.

Good luck!

The play should be small, it's in a manual somewhere...
Get a blowup diagram of the transmission and you'll see what this is about

Clark