Subject: [Spit] Ideal PRM for cruise

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Subject: [Spit] Ideal PRM for cruise
From: "Stuart Greenwood" <sagreenwood@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 23:08:31 -0700
Hello I am driving my Spitfire MK3 for the first time, and I have the 1296cc
and no overdrive and was wandering what should be the ideal RPM for cruise. I
remark that the engine was turning 3700 RPM at 90 Km, that seem to much for me,
but I am no expert
Have a nice day
Paul-Ernest

Each engine might have a different sweet spot dependant on how well the
rotating bits are balanced. and/or how it is wearing. When I bought my car the
engine had never been out of the car. It ran best at 4000 rpm.  which was about
70 mph with the 3 rail non overdrive gearbox. My brother in law had a English
Ford Granada with a V4 engine. It was horrible as it came up to 3000 rpm but
above that it smoothed out nicely and ran like a top.
I rebuilt my engine and had it balanced and fitted a J type overdrive with a
single rail box. It's smooth at all rpms now. I rarely go above 80 thought
because with all those dinosaurian SUV around who just can't see a littleSpit
in the side mirrors ( do they ever look in them?) it worries my what they might
do if I speed past them!

sagreenwood@earthlink.net
San Diego
71 Spitfire Mk IV, 71 Stag Mk I, 80 TR8 Federal

===     http://www.vtr.org