Re: [Spits] Engine rebuild: What to ask and say to the machine

To: "'Nick Moseley'" <nmoseley@dccnet.com>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Re: [Spits] Engine rebuild: What to ask and say to the machine
From: "Gene Eighmy" <w4eae@netzero.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:16:17 -0500
Nick,

I went with the Fast Road Profile Cam from Nigel at SpitBits.  It is pretty
close to the one recommended in John Davies' article called "Skimming Your
Head for a Higher Compression Ratio".  That makes a huge difference and puts
all that extra compression to work.  With the old cam, I could barely make
it to redline.  With the Fast road cam it pulls all the way past redline and
then some...

I also added the oil cooler from Spitbits.  If you're going to add it, skip
the rubber hoses and go with the Stainless hoses.  The rubber ones lasted
less than 500 miles before coming apart.

Looking back, I wish I would have replaced the valves with the Large Intake
Valve 1.44" and Large Exhaust Valve 1.23".  RazorBob suggested that I do
that and I think he was right.

Gene Eighmy

NASS #275
'79 Spitfire 1500