Re: [Spits] A movie NOT for Triumph fans -

To: v6spitfireguy@cox.net
Subject: Re: [Spits] A movie NOT for Triumph fans -
From: "Richard Gosling" <rbgosling@googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 09:44:00 +0100
Firstly, the "launching the telegraph pole" thing:  that's called Tossing
the Caber, and is an entirely authentic and genuine highland sport, although
needless to say there is no tradition of having to do it in order to prove
you worth in order to get married.

Secondly, I'm guessing (and hoping) that the movie company aren't interested
in burning money for no good reason, and won't have spent #6,000 or more on
a decent Stag only to go and wreck it.  More likely it was a total
basket-case they could pick up for a few hundred, particularly if there was
no need for the car to be driven.  They probably did go out of their way to
pick something idendifiably and authentically British, and desirable (to
increase the impact of the scene), which couldn't have been achieved with
any of the modern cars on the roads today.

Having said that, I would still have had much the same reaction as you!  I
remember how I felt when I saw a Midget burst into flames on Taggart (a
Glasgow-based murder detective series), and it was to console myself over
that that I came up with this they-would-only-have-destroyed-a-basket-case
theory.

Richard