[Spits] Frame swap on Spitfire

To: Digest Spitfire <spitfires@autox.team.net>, Digest Triumphs
Subject: [Spits] Frame swap on Spitfire
From: Robert Rutherford <rrutherf@ucalgary.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 14:17:27 -0700
Hi all, I have perforation rust in the rear frame rails of my 78
Spitfire. Am stripping an older frame (unknown year but has 6 leaf
rear spring) for bead blasting and POR-15 painting.
Can anyone confirm my belief that all Spitfire frames are
interchangeable?
I understand that the 12 coil front spring from this frame might be
advisable for lowering the front end and improving handling as opposed
to the 11 coil used on the 1500.
I will of course use the swing spring from my 78 along with  a Monroe
air lift shock kit at the rear.
Any insight into what might be wrong with this plan is welcome.

TIA,
Robert Rutherford in Vernon, BC

White 78 Spitfire with rusty frame.
Red 76 Spitfire waiting in the wings (or is that waiting in the
fenders?)