Re: [Spits] Spitfire IV emblems

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spits] Spitfire IV emblems
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 09:21:42 EDT
In a message dated 5/13/2008 11:56:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
sagreenwood@earthlink.net writes:

How can  I safely get the Spitfire IV emblems off the hood and rear fenders
so that I  can paint the car and then put them back on?
They look like a part cast out  of cheap metal and have two pegs that go
through the body work and are secured  is some way.From the back these pegs
look
like blind rivets that haven't been  compressed.

==AM==
What I've done is to get a very small drift and very carefully alternately
tap on the pegs until the badge is nearly free.

Joe's right about the "rattling around" of the pegs; however, the holes
should have the little plastic "friction bushes" that seem to do a very good
job
of both holding and insulating the pegs. Earlier Triumphs (before the
mid-1960s)  relied on clips and gobs of sealant on the backside of the pegs, a
somewhat less  elegant solution that often also was harder to undo.

--Andy   Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not  so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with   wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6)  and
Triumph Herald Database at its new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us/)

favorites at AOL Food.